Monday, June 6, 2011

Family First

Today I went to the grocery store and used one of the carts that has a race car attached to the front of it. The children sat in the front pretending to drive around the store. It was my toddler's first time and he emphatically turned the wheel and called out, “Eeeeeeeee!” all the way to the checkout line. We received so many smiles from passersby – and dodgers – and I generally enjoyed the trip. As I walked – or was chauffeured – to my van, another lady was backing up and caught a glimpse of us out her window. She looked like she might be about sixty-something. She smiled and glanced at the children repeatedly, clearly enjoying the glee on their faces.

I thought, why is it that we all are drawn to the children in a crowd, at a party, at the store, or a get-together? Why do I get so many smiles? All of the smiles are not the same. Some smiles are tolerant. Some smiles – from the other moms with small children – feel my pain/joy. Some smiles – from the empty-nesters – are reminiscent smiles as they think of a past that went by all too quickly. Those are the smiles that help me to have an eternal perspective about the trials of life.

Those are the smiles that make me remember that one day I will be the sixty-year-old smiling at the cute kids and … and what? Will I be remembering all the great things we did together? Savoring the beautiful feelings that those experiences created in me? Or will I be wishing with all my heart that I had spent so much more time loving and teaching them and less time doing … whatever else I was doing. Will there be a little sorrow behind my smile or will it be filled with true joy? I can choose that. Right. Now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What I Believe

I'm a Mormon.

I love Leadership Education

Love-TJEd_Badge