Thursday, March 31, 2011

The Greatest of These

I've been listening to Sheri Dew's book, “If Life Were Easy, It Wouldn't Be Hard.” She includes many profound perspectives, including how to set down the emotional baggage we carry, and some ideas about how charity is greater than faith or hope. Charity is the pure love of Christ. I could quote the entire thirteenth chapter of 1 Corinthians here. I encourage you to read it soon. Verse 13 says, “And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.”

Sheri Dew shed a new light on charity, or love. She said, “Charity is a healing, transforming balm bestowed by the Father, applied by the Holy Ghost, to true followers of his Son, that will change our very nature as it purifies us.”

As we pray for this charity, we can change! The Lord will transform us, for we cannot transform ourselves. I'm sure everyone knows what it is like to know that something is wrong in our souls, but to not feel capable of fixing it. Or to have pain from abuse or tragedy and not be able to eradicate its effects. Or to know that we have a destructive habit or behavior, but feel as though no matter what we do, we have not been able to conquer it. Of course we can't conquer it! We need the Lord to transform us first and then when we have His pure love in our hearts, we will be able to conquer bad habits, to heal and to let go of pain. He stands at the door and knocks, waiting for us to open our hearts and truly let Him in. He will not force us.

I have prayed that he would purify me, knowing that I could not overcome my weaknesses by myself. I have prayed to be filled with the love of God. That I would be able to have true charity toward all and the ability to truly love others and not judge them no matter how badly they hurt me or the others around them. (Verse 4: Charity suffereth long, and is kind.) But I never quite thought of charity this way. Now I am praying for the Lord to apply the transforming power of His Atonement to my heart so I may change the things I know I must if I am to find everlasting joy in this life and teach my children how to find it as well. I am so thankful for the gospel of Jesus Christ and that the Lord is always willing to teach me when I seek Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What I Believe

I'm a Mormon.

I love Leadership Education

Love-TJEd_Badge