Sunday, June 24, 2012

An Afternoon Adjusting to the Peck Principles


We finally get home from our errands of the day. Jesstyn had earned 2 chores earlier in the day and she starts doing the first one just fine – wiping the kitchen floor. She wipes most of the floor with some spray and a sponge, focusing on big, obvious spots. Thinking she was finished, she leaves the job to go do something else. On her way, I say, “Wait a minute, remember what to do!”
She twirls on the stairs and flops down on them, (I'm still in the kitchen) and says, “What else do I do?”
“Come in here so we can talk about what we see.” (I see large sections of the floor that were overlooked).
“I am listening right here,” she says, apparently too lazy to get up and come back into the room.
“I know, but I want you to come in here so we can look at this together and talk about it.”
“Why do I have to come in there?”
“Because I want you to be able to see what I am talking about, so please come in.”
“Why can't I just stay here because - ”
“Sweetheart,” (I was doing really well at keeping calm this time. Calm leads to more calm, right?)
“I told you my answer: that I want you to see what I see. Now please come in here.”
“You interrupted me!”
“That's because -”
“I wasn't finished speaking!” (By now she had actually migrated into the kitchen).
“Okay, fine. I'm sorry I interrupted you. What did you want to say?”
“Well,” (she looks around for a second) “I would know what you were talking about even if I was still on the stairs.”
“Okay, but you are arguing. This is the type of thing that is going to earn you a major maintenance.” Still calm. Doing very well. No attitude in Mom. I continued to explain her behavior a little more clearly. “Do you understand?” (Meanwhile, the toddler's glue project is going awry and I have to pause my conversation with her to teach him how to properly use a glue stick without pushing all the glue up to the top. He resists and I tell him I will take it away unless he uses it appropriately. Mercifully, he agrees and starts gluing again).
She nods in response to my question.
“So I'm not going to give you the major maintenance this time because we're still learning about this. But I want you to understand that this type of interchange between us where I ask you several times and you do not drop the subject and accept my answer and obey, is what will earn you a major maintenance. Okay?”
“Yes! I understand! You don't have to tell me again!” (with attitude).
“You are not being calm right now. The way you just said that was disrespectful, okay? That earns you an extra chore, too.”
She sort of looked to the side and seemed to take a moment to register that. (I seriously don't think she always realizes the attitude in her voice as inappropriate – she was so immersed in it with her friends in public school that it's just there. [Note: Since I last wrote this sentence, I read Nicholeen's advice about making sure your tolerances are low instead of high. Now I see that my daughter speaks this way, not only because of outside influences, but because I have tolerated it for years without realizing it.] Of course, yesterday, after reprimanding her for wagging her head at me and putting her hand on her hip while speaking to me with raised eyebrows, etc, I caught myself doing the very same thing back to her later in the day. I said, “There I just did it to you, didn't I?” We just smiled, then laughed, and I said, “We're all working on this, aren't we?” She said, “Yep.”)
Anyway, back to the story.
“So are you ready to talk to me about this last job of wiping the floor?”
She nodded.
We go over checking for missed spots, redoing them, cleaning the sponge, closing the bottle sprayer and putting the bottle away. She does all of these very cooperatively, almost showing off how well she can do this “following instructions” thing.
I praise her and thank her. I tell her she did these so well that I'm going to take away the chore she just earned. But she still has the second one from earlier, so we have to do that and I'm going to have her wipe the bathroom mirror.

Instead of just setting it all up for her, I remember what I read recently about working with your children and taking the time to teach them how to do jobs correctly, etc. So I waited for her follow me in and asked her questions and helped her think through properly removing toothbrushes from the counter before spraying, etc and we go through this process. I leave to help the toddler with gluing again and she comes into the kitchen and sits down to glue with us a few minutes later.

I say, “What's the last step of following instructions?”
After a second, she says, “Report back!” proud of herself for remembering.
“Yes, so...?”
“I did it!”
“Okay, let's go check it.”
“I want to glue. You can check it.”
“No, I want you to come in here so you can see what I see and we can talk about it.” (she caught the same language from our earlier confrontation). I was in the bathroom at this point.
She says, “Coming!” and runs right down the hall to join me.
I look her in the eye and say with a big smile, “Thank you for coming in here when I asked you to. It makes me feel really connected to you right now.” She smiles proudly and I give her side arm hug and we look at the mirror. I continue to teach her about properly cleaning a mirror. There were streaks and missed spots. We talked about them and she made suggestions and I guided her along.

I was a happy teacher and she was a happy student. We were connecting, while she was being “disciplined” for something! We were connecting during the administration of a consequence.

It's not that I have never connected with her before while teaching how to do a chore. But this time, it was a result of our family system of teaching self-government and she was contributing instead of arguing or sulking. It was amazingly fulfilling as a parent. I felt so good!

I have been so inspired by Nicholeen Peck's program for Teaching Self-Government to families. I hope my readers will visit her blog at www.teachingselfgovernment.com. Ever since I learned of her, I just want to shout her message to everyone! She truly is bringing freedom to families.



No comments:

Post a Comment

What I Believe

I'm a Mormon.

I love Leadership Education

Love-TJEd_Badge